Linux users what WM/DM do you use?

Any discussion that doesn't fit into any of the other categories goes here.
Shaddow798

Linux users what WM/DM do you use?

Post by Shaddow798 »

We had a post for operating systems, then specs so why not desktop environments.

Personally I use i3wm on my desk (I will switch to sway at somepoint as im using a amd gpu now and i want to use wayland for reasons).
and on my laptop i use xfce even though i prefer tiling window managers i wanted something quick to setup when i reinstalled the os as im lazy.
I was using i3wm but i was having brightness issues on that which wernt occurring in macos. then i reinstalled windows to see what was diffrent and it was broken there too. My lenovo laptop only works properly for some reason in MacOS lol.
I'm really bad at english, im also clinically tired.
flatrute

Re: Linux users what WM/DM do you use?

Post by flatrute »

Are BSD people allowed to be here? PauseChamp

Anyway I hope by the time I no longer have to use Windows for college reason labwc will be featureful enough for me to dailydrive it since sway and other tiling WMs are just too tiresome for me.
It turns out leaving an Internet identity behind is hard MikeBruh

My username is read as "flatorte".

[deleted] posts index

MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Currently KDE. I love how customizable it is. For the most part, I've found I can get it to work exactly how I want, without having to do any weird dconf editing or recompiling. I also like that it's Qt-based because a lot of my apps use Qt so that provides a fairly consistent look and feel.

I used to like GNOME, but I started getting really tired of how restrictive it can be (e.g. aforementioned dconf editing). It seems like the GNOME team have copied Apple's "we don't think you need to be able to do that" philosophy, which may work for regular users, but was kind of what I wanted to get away from by switching to Linux. Also OBS works poorly on GNOME (naturally the two projects blame each other for why), and really almost all of my general Linux usability problems went away after switching to KDE.

I tried i3 for a couple of days because I like the idea of tiling in theory, but I have 3 monitors on my desktop PC and I started getting really confused and frustrated about which "desktop number" was on which monitor and contained which applications. I think I could see it working a lot better on single monitor setups.
Loomeh

Post by Loomeh »

I currently use KDE because I like its mix between simplicity and customization ability. I did go through a massive DWM phase because I wanted to squeeze as much performance out of my system and be considered one of those cool Linux power users. However, tiling window managers have a lot of issues and when I switched to KDE I felt a sense of freedom which is kind of ironic since more freedom is basically the whole point of tiling window managers.
damy

Post by damy »

I used to be a Gnome user until Gnome 43. Updated to 43.(something) last week and the whole DE is just became a buggy mess. Drag n drop sometimes work sometimes doesn't, half of my apps no longer use my theme so switched to KDE. My whole experience with KDE is okay so far, the only thing I miss a few extensions from Gnome.
Pankine

Post by Pankine »

MATE and Compiz
damy

Post by damy »

Pankine wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:26 pm MATE and Compiz
Peak linux ricing
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Heh those compositor effects are so cool, but almost entirely impractical for regular use lmao
Pankine

Post by Pankine »

MattKC wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:35 pm Heh those compositor effects are so cool, but almost entirely impractical for regular use lmao
yeah lol, plus i use standard animations like fading and such, the only cool compositor effects i use are the cube and wobbly windows, compiz also has some cool accessibility options too. the 2 window managers that are similar to compiz are: kwin, (has some good stuff like wobbly windows and i heard cube) and wayfire. (wayland, basically spiritual successor to compiz)
7thFox

Post by 7thFox »

DWM or bust