Anyone daily-driving OpenCore on an older Mac?

Any discussion of software that doesn't fit into any category goes here.
Njmcq

Anyone daily-driving OpenCore on an older Mac?

Post by Njmcq »

Subject really speaks for itself. Is anyone on this forum daily-driving a Mac running OpenCore? If so, which Mac and how is the stability/performance for you?
hazzamack

Re: Anyone daily-driving OpenCore on an older Mac?

Post by hazzamack »

I did for about 3 months on my old mid 2012 MacBook Pro Unibody 13". I'd upgraded it with 16GB of RAM and a 500GB SSD, and I was running Big Sur. And I can say that it was great! Only slowness that I felt was that there was a slightly slower bootup time, but once I got into the OS, it was actually really smooth! I would recommend OpenCore for anyone looking to increase the lifespan of an older Mac :)
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

I haven't used it on a older mac but I have used it extensively on pcs over the past about 2 years.

I have had barley and problems running hackintoshes, and adding uefi support to machines that have only have legacy support and to add nvme drives to a haswel and ivy bridge machine.

I'm interested on what its like on a older mac. at somepoint I will try that to run ventura on my 2015 macbook pro.
I'm really bad at english, im also clinically tired.
MattKC
Site Admin

Post by MattKC »

Likewise I've only ever used it on PCs, but I've seen a lot of people from Low End Mac resurrecting their 2012 MacBooks with it. Once again it's a real testament to the work of the community (and to the laziness of Apple not wanting to support them anymore lol)

I did briefly plan on something vaguely similar. I was considering gutting this Intel iMac and placing new x86 PC parts inside and Hackintoshing it. So it would have kind of been OpenCore on an old Mac, though obviously in reality it would have just been a PC in an Apple case.
y2k4

Post by y2k4 »

I used to, then the Mac died from extended overvolting because I disabled the MacOS software throttling flag so it could run full balls-to-the-walls on MacOS Monterey. It is a MacBook Pro from 2012 and the latest it could run without the OpenCore Legacy Patcher was MacOS High Sierra. It ran really well after disabling the flag, pity it died :(
Shaddow798

Post by Shaddow798 »

y2k4 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:57 pm I used to, then the Mac died from extended overvolting because I disabled the MacOS software throttling flag so it could run full balls-to-the-walls on MacOS Monterey. It is a MacBook Pro from 2012 and the latest it could run without the OpenCore Legacy Patcher was MacOS High Sierra. It ran really well after disabling the flag, pity it died :(
you sure it was a 2012? the 2012 could run 10.15. the 2011 was stuck on 10.13
I'm really bad at english, im also clinically tired.
y2k4

Post by y2k4 »

Yes it is. But you are sort of correct: the 2012 could *NATIVELY* run 10.15. With patches I was able to install Monterey.